- Under A Sweltering Sun
by Cailley Hammel July 2014
As a lifelong Arizonian, Michael Rodarte is used to the heat of the Southwest. But when he left a career in finance for a fresh start as co-founder of Classic Pool Service, he found himself a bit surprised by how hot it can really get outside the confines of an air-conditioned office.
“There’s a difference between...
- How to Test a Swimming Pool Bonding Grid
by Paolo Benedetti June 2014
Accomplished aquatic designer and builder Paolo Benedetti is passionate about the details of proper construction and adherence to applicable codes and standards. In that spirit, he shares a simple method for testing a pool’s bonding grid, a necessary measure to help ensure bather safety.
- Pool Chemicals Send Thousands to E.R.
by Cailley Hammel May 2014
According to a new study, injuries from pool chemicals led to nearly 5,000 emergency room visits in 2012, underscoring the need for pool professionals to educate customers and their families about the hazards of pools chemicals.
The research, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, found that nearly half of these injuries involved children...
- Faulty Pool Wiring Leads to Electrocution
by Cailley Hammel April 2014
A 7-year-old boy from the Miami area died after being electrocuted in the family swimming pool, and authorities suspect the pool light is to blame.
According to local sources, Calder Sloan and his brother, Caleb, were at home with their nanny of four years and her 22-year-old son, Gary. Calder and Gary jumped in the pool, and Gary felt a shock, prompting him to...
- April 2014 Safety Product Focus
by AQUA Editors April 2014
BABY-LOC Removable Fencing is the first removable fencing good enough to...
- Faulty Pool Heater Exhaust Vent Proves Fatal
by Cailley Hammel January 2014
Last summer, tragedy struck at a Best Western Hotel in Boone, N.C. when carbon monoxide fatally poisoned three people. The culprit? The swimming pool heater, which had a faulty exhaust pipe — riddled with holes and supported by a VHS tape and a hotel ice bucket — that leaked the gas directly into room 225.
Daryl Jenkins, 73, and Shirley Jenkins, 72, were the first victims — yet when authorities noted the couple died of natural causes, room 225 was opened six weeks...
- Water Clarity Saves Lives
by Terry Arko November 2013
It’s probably one of the most well known “cloudy water” tragedies known to anyone in the recreational water realm. On a hot Sunday in June 2011, Marie Joseph hopped into a Toyota Corolla with a group of friends to go and cool off at the Veterans Vietnam Memorial Pool at Lafayette Park in Fall River, Mass. Two days later, Joseph’s body was found floating in the public pool.
During the outing on Sunday, Joseph and a nine year old were playing on the slide....
- Multiple ADA Swimming Pool Compliance Lawsuits Filed
by Scott Webb June 2013
Since the deadline for compliance passed on January 31, 2013, a number of lawsuits have been filed against several hotel chains contending their pools do not meet ADA requirements for disabled access.
In March, a total of 22 different lawsuits were initiated in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana by a single plaintiff, David DeBoard, against a bevy of Indianapolis area hotels. According to an analysis of court documents, the lawsuits all claimed in identical...
- Get Ready for National Water Safety Month
by Cailley Hammel April 2013
It’s almost May, and pool openings taking place across the nation, there’s no better time to celebrate National Water Safety Month.
To recognize the event, the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals, the
- Safe & Sound: Safety Product Focus
by Cailley Hammel April 2013
From the family with young children to the couple with pets and a penchant for entertaining, your customers always keep safety in mind when enjoying their pool or spa — and they expect you to do the same. Luckily, there are a slew of products on the market intended to guard, protect and serve your customers around the clock. Here are just some of the best safety products available to put their minds at ease.