RECENT ARTICLES
  • Faulty Pool Heater Exhaust Vent Proves Fatal

    by Cailley Hammel January 2014

    Last summer, tragedy struck at a Best Western Hotel in Boone, N.C. when carbon monoxide fatally poisoned three people. The culprit? The swimming pool heater, which had a faulty exhaust pipe — riddled with holes and supported by a VHS tape and a hotel ice bucket — that leaked the gas directly into room 225.

    Daryl Jenkins, 73, and Shirley Jenkins, 72, were the first victims — yet when authorities noted the couple died of natural causes, room 225 was opened six weeks...

  • Water Clarity Saves Lives

    by Terry Arko November 2013

    It’s probably one of the most well known “cloudy water” tragedies known to anyone in the recreational water realm. On a hot Sunday in June 2011, Marie Joseph hopped into a Toyota Corolla with a group of friends to go and cool off at the Veterans Vietnam Memorial Pool at Lafayette Park in Fall River, Mass. Two days later, Joseph’s body was found floating in the public pool. 

    During the outing on Sunday, Joseph and a nine year old were playing on the slide....

  • Multiple ADA Swimming Pool Compliance Lawsuits Filed

    by Scott Webb June 2013

    Since the deadline for compliance passed on January 31, 2013, a number of lawsuits have been filed against several hotel chains contending their pools do not meet ADA requirements for disabled access.

    In March, a total of 22 different lawsuits were initiated in the US District Court for the Southern District of Indiana by a single plaintiff, David DeBoard, against a bevy of Indianapolis area hotels. According to an analysis of court documents, the lawsuits all claimed in identical...

  • Get Ready for National Water Safety Month

    by Cailley Hammel April 2013

    It’s almost May, and pool openings taking place across the nation, there’s no better time to celebrate National Water Safety Month

    To recognize the event, the Association of Pool & Spa Professionals, the

  • Safe & Sound: Safety Product Focus

    by Cailley Hammel April 2013

    From the family with young children to the couple with pets and a penchant for entertaining, your customers always keep safety in mind when enjoying their pool or spa — and they expect you to do the same. Luckily, there are a slew of products on the market intended to guard, protect and serve your customers around the clock. Here are just some of the best safety products available to put their minds at ease.

    Tips for Firepit Safety

    by Scott Cohen October 2012

    photo of Cohen family around fire pit
    The author’s family enjoys the warmth of their fire pit in comfort and safety. (Courtesy: The Green Scene Landscaping and Pools)

    For homeowners and commercial property owners seeking to enhance the outdoor experience, fire pits provide an opportunity for close interaction with the flames, explains Scott Cohen,

    ...
  • AQUA's Roundup Of Pool And Spa Safety Products

    by Barrett Kilmer June 2011

    To co-opt and slightly alter a popular advertising adage, safety sells. The following companies offer a wide range of safety products that do the double duty of keeping customers safe while keeping registers ringing. One really can do well by doing good.

  • Safety In The Spotlight

    by Becky Strauss February 2007

    With the tragic drowning death of Graeme Baker in June of 2002, pool and spa safety issues hit the spotlight in a big way. A granddaughter of former Secretary of State James Baker, the 7-year-old was the victim of suction entrapment at a family graduation party. Since her death, the Baker family has strongly advocated for pool safety, including testifying in May 2006...